The automated electric tow tractor – nicknamed Brunhilde – operated successfully from 2009 to 2020 at the Adient company in the Zwickau factory and reached 35,000 operating hours. This electric tow tractor is the first driverless transport vehicle (FTF) in Germany, whose area of application had a connection to public traffic.
The tractor reliably transported goods in up to 2 trailers from a factory hall with an automatic gate to a transfer area in 12 minute cycles or on call, covering a distance of over 300 m on each journey. During the journey it passed a factory yard with mixed traffic, on which, for example, delivery trucks, people and forklift trucks were moving. This yard had a direct connection to the public traffic area.
Brunhilde starts for her last ride
Functions that Brunhilde implemented as an example for outdoor vehicles automated by Götting:
- The trailers were coupled and uncoupled automatically.
- The vehicle also carries out the turning manoeuvres at the 2 transfer points automatically.
- The automation is integrated into the vehicle in such a way that the electric tow tractor can still be driven manually.
- Safety devices ensure that the driverless transport system (AGV) can stop and restart automatically if obstacles such as people, trucks or forklifts cross the track.
- The battery can be changed quickly using a forklift truck. This allows long operating times with minimal disruption.
View of Brunhilde from the public traffic area
We thank the company Adient for the good cooperation. Brunhilde will be used in the future as a demonstration vehicle for automated driving at Götting.
Contact persons: Mr Dr.-Ing. Daniel Knopp, sales vehicle automation
Götting Quick Guide Last updated: 03/2021
Götting KG founded in 1965, ist an innovative company placed in Lehrte near Hannover (DE) and works worldwide.The company develops and produces wireless data communication systems and sensors for automatic track guidance of so-called automated guided vehicles (AGV). As far as we are informed Götting KG has the largest product range of different components for trackguiding AGV.
Further main topics are traffic technology, RF measuring, wireless data communication in general as well as customized developments for car manufactureres, electronic- and radio broadcasting industry. Currently our company employs 90 professionals of which about 35 are experienced masters in engineering and are responsible for research and development.
The core competency of FOX – a special department of Götting KG – is focused on the automation of serial vehicles, especially for the outdoor area (trucks, pay loaders, fork lifts etc.).